The K-1 visa provides a pathway for foreign nationals engaged to American citizens to immigrate to the United States to get married. Also known as the fiancé visa, the K-1 allows the beneficiary to enter the U.S. and gives them 90 days to wed their petitioner.

To obtain this special visa, the engaged couple must meet several eligibility criteria and compile the necessary documentation. Navigating the K-1 visa process involves filing an accurate visa petition, gathering relationship evidence, attending a consular interview abroad, and entering the U.S. to get married within the 90-day timeframe.

Eligibility Requirements for the K-1 Visa

The K-1 visa petition is filed by the U.S. citizen petitioner on behalf of their foreign fiancé(e). For the petition to be approved and the visa to be issued, the engaged couple must meet all of the following eligibility criteria:

Petitioner Requirements:

  • woman giving her documents to apply for k-1 visa during interview with specialist in officeU.S. citizenship: The K-1 petitioner must be a citizen of the United States. Those with permanent residence and who have visas cannot file.
  • Marital status: The petitioner cannot be married to anyone else when filing the K-1 visa petition, which also means showing proof of termination of previous marriages if applicable.
  • Age: There is no minimum age requirement for the U.S. citizen petitioner if they are otherwise legally qualified to enter a marriage contract under the laws of their state. However, the foreign fiancé must be over 18 years old.
  • Prior relationships: The petitioner must disclose any prior K-1 petitions they previously filed on Form I-129F for transparency purposes.

Beneficiary Requirements:

  • Engagement: The foreign fiancé must have a genuine, verifiable relationship with and be engaged to the U.S. petitioner.
  • Marital status: As with the petitioner, the beneficiary cannot be married to or have an existing spouse elsewhere when the petition is filed.
  • Two-year meeting requirement: The couple must have met in real life at least one time within the space of two years before filing Form I-129F.
  • Intent to marry: The engaged couple must have a shared intention to legally wed within three months (90 days) after the foreign fiancé enters the United States.

Gathering Required Documentation

To confirm that a couple meets all K-1 eligibility requirements, numerous documents must be gathered in order to file Form I-129F and apply for the visa.

The petitioner must compile and submit:

  • Proof of being a U.S. citizen (such as passport, naturalization certificate, or birth certificate)
  • Documents proving any prior marriages have ended (such as divorce decree or deceased spouse’s death certificate)
  • Evidence that the petitioner has met the foreign fiancé face-to-face within 24 months before filing
  • Confirmation of financial support through Form I-134, Affidavit of Support

The foreign fiancé must gather documents, including:

  • A valid, unexpired passport
  • A certified copy of their birth certificate
  • A police certificate clearance letter from anywhere they have resided for at least six months after turning age 16
  • Court records verifying termination of any prior marriages
  • A medical examination report completed by an approved physician

The couple should also collect evidence verifying their shared relationship, such as:

  • man filling k-1 visa applicationPhotographs spanning time spent together
  • Travel itineraries and documentation of any shared vacations
  • Proof of constant communication such as emails, chat logs, and phone records
  • Sworn affidavits from family and friends confirming the legitimacy of the engagement

Filing the K-1 Visa Petition

To apply for a K-1 visa, the petitioner must properly complete Form I-129F, also known as the Petition for Alien Fiancé(e). It must then be filed with the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

The petition packet must contain the following:

  • The signed and executed I-129F form
  • All required documentation from both partners
  • Substantiating relationship evidence
  • The filing fee, payable by money order, cashier’s check, or personal check to USCIS

The petitioner then mails this full package to the USCIS service center with jurisdiction over their place of residence. Receipt will be confirmed via Form I-797 within 30 days.

USCIS adjudicators carefully review all submitted documentation, ensuring the engaged couple has sufficiently evidenced the bona fide nature of their relationship and intent to wed. If any aspects of eligibility appear questionable or lacking in the provided documentation, requests for additional proof sometimes arise during the adjudication process.

As a result, the petitioner should be highly thorough when initially completing Form I-129F and compiling all forms and supporting materials for inclusion in the petition. Carefully and accurately filling out the I-129F according to its instructions helps prevent denial or delays due to an improperly filed petition.

Likewise, petitioners must submit as much compelling evidence of a relationship as possible. Providing an abundance of quality documentation demonstrating shared experiences and future marriage plans is the best option to ensure that your engagement is considered legitimate.

Once satisfied, USCIS approves the I-129F petition by returning a Form I-797 to the petitioner, showing it has been sustained. USCIS then forwards the approved petition to the National Visa Center (NVC) for pre-processing.

Navigating the Interview Process

The National Visa Center coordinates with the appropriate U.S. embassy or consulate nearest where the foreign fiancé resides to schedule the K-1 visa interview. The beneficiary will receive instructions to complete Form DS-160, the online nonimmigrant visa application.

During this consular interview abroad, the engaged couple can anticipate several lines of questioning verifying:

  • How, when and where they met and became engaged
  • Their wedding plans and arrangements (which must already be in place)
  • Relationship history and development evidenced in the petitioner’s supporting documents
  • Any potential issues that previously arose regarding the bona fides of the engagement
  • Adherence to eligibility technicalities, such as termination of any prior marriages

visa center employee shaking hands with visitor during her visit to visa centerTherefore, both parties should prepare well for the interview. Being well-versed in the evidence compiled in the filing packet aids in confidently fielding any questions about the relationship’s legitimacy.

Practicing mock interview questions will also help improve your responses to consular inquiries requiring elaboration on timeline specifics and wedding plans. Also, bringing duplicate relationship documentation to your interview as supplemental materials may help resolve any lingering concerns.

Improve the Odd of Success in Your K-1 Journey with Pride Immigration

The K-1 visa provides the fastest method for foreign fiancé(e)s of American citizens to enter the U.S. for marriage. However, the application process also entails burdensome documentation requirements and adjudicative scrutiny.

Pride Immigration has assisted numerous couples from diverse backgrounds. Consult with Pride Immigration as soon as you launch your visa journey.

By getting started with us early, we can optimize your petition, and then, streamline preparing for the consular interview later on. Contact us today at (703) 594-4040 or online to begin your fiancé visa case or ask any specific questions you may have.

The following two tabs change content below.

Beeraj Patel, Esq.

Partner at KPPB Law
Beeraj Patel's philosophy is simple - make it easy for talented and ambitious individuals to have access to immigration materials so that they can make the choice which is right for them.
Call Now Button