An L-2 visa is a document which gives the dependent’s spouse and minor unmarried children of qualified L-1 visa holders the right to enter the U.S. The L-2 visa gives the right to stay in the U.S. for the duration that the L-1 visa (spouse) is valid.  This page will outline some of the most common questions surrounding L-2 visas:


How long can I stay in the U.S. on a L-2 visa?

You can stay in the U.S. as long as the primary L-1 visa holder maintains valid status or a maximum of seven years, whichever is shorter

How do I appy for a L-2 visa?

To appy for a L-2 visa, you need:

  • Completed DS-160 visa application
  • Demand draft for Visa application fee
  • Demand draft for Visa issuance fee
  • Original valid passport
  • Recent Passport photgraph
  • Original marriage certificate
  • Four to five marriage photographs in case you’re an L-2 spouse
  • Copy of your parent’s or spouse’s L-1 approval
  • Parent’s or Spouse’s employment verification letter

How long does the employment authorization take for L-2 visas?

It usually takes within 90 days but sometimes at other service centers, the wait may exceed 90 days.

What happens if you do not receive an Employment Authorization within 90 days?

If you do not receive the authorization within 90 days, you can submit a new form I-765 along with copies of the required documentation and the receipt to your nearest Service Center. Then you will receive an employment authorization document from the USCIS valid for 240 days while they process your two year employment authorization document.

How long is the employment authorization document valid on a L-2 visa status?

Your employment authorization document is valid for two years and can be renewed as long as you properly maintain L-2 visa status.

Can I be employed in any job I want on a L-2 visa?

Yes. The USCIS doesn’t limit you on what type of employment you do.

Will the time in the U.S. as a L-2 spouse count against the six years I have as a H-1B holder?

No, it will not count against the six years that you have as a H-1B visa holder.

Can I adjust my status on a L-2 visa to permanent resident?

Yes you can apply for an Adjustment of Status. You need to file Form I-485 to register for permanent residency or adjust your status with the USCIS.

Do I need to apply for Advance Parole when I travel internationally?

No, you do not need to apply for Advance Parole when you have a L-2 visa and wish to travel internationally. The only thing is you have to maintain nonimmigrant status.

What is the limitation on a L-2 visa?

The limitation is that you may not appy for employment authorization if you are the dependent child on a L-2 visa.

Can I file for an extension on a L-2 visa as well as my employment authorization?

Yes, you can file for both but do it sooner rather than later as well as file for the spouse’s citizenship.

How we can help you

Not sure if an L-2 visa is right for you?  Give us a call!  Our experienced immigration attorneys are here to help. For a consultation, call 703-594-4040 or contact us online.

Call Now Button