You can show proof that you have U.S. permanent resident status with a permanent resident card or green card (USCIS Form I-551). Most green cards are valid for 10 years. If you have only been granted conditional permanent residency, your card is valid for two years. If your card expires, you may encounter difficulty remaining in the United States to live or work.

When should I renew my card?

Below are some of the common reasons for renewing a green card:

  • If your 10-year card is going to expire within the next six months or has already expired, it is time to initiate the renewal process. If you hold a 2-year card, you need to petition to remove the conditional restriction. Do this at least 90 days before your card expires. If successful, your new card will be valid for 10 years.
  • If you currently hold a green card with no printed expiration date, you are likely holding an expired card. In this case, it is best to begin the renewal process immediately.
  • At what time should I replace my Permanent Resident Card?
  • If your card has become damaged or has been lost or stolen, or if any of your contact information has recently changed, you should replace your card.
  • As well, if you already hold a permanent resident card but you have recently turned 14, you are legally required to replace your card.
  • What application do I use to renew/replace my Permanent Resident Card?
  • You will use Form I-90 (Application to Replace Green Card) on
  • What do I need to do to file the I-90 form?
  • Refer to – Immigration Forms – I-90. You can access the instructions and the form and even complete the process online.
  • How do I get the “conditional” status lifted for my 2-year card?

The process of getting your conditional status removed depends on the reasons the condition was originally placed. Do NOT use Form I-90. Here are instructions based on the type of condition:

  • Marriage-based. File Form I-751 (Petition to Remove Conditions on Residence).
  • Entrepreneurship or investment. File Form I-829 (Petition by Entrepreneur to Remove Conditions on Permanent Resident Status).

NOTE: If your card expires before you file the appropriate petition, you may lose your status as a permanent resident! You can access the forms and their instructions at If you have questions, the number for USCIS Customer Service is 1-800- 375-5283.

How do I file Form I-90 (Application to Replace Permanent Resident Card)?

To file Form I-90:

  1. First, download Form I-90 from (PDF form).
  2. Also download the instructions (PDF form).
  3. Download Form G-1145 (E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance) (PDF form).

What is the purpose of Form I-90?

You will file this form if you need to renew or replace a like green card. However, if you are a conditional resident, you must use either Form I-751 (Marriage) or I-829 (Entrepreneurship). You may use either the 11/23/10 or 08/10/09 of Form I-90.

What if I need to file Form I-90 by mail?

If you need to file your Form I-90 by mail instead of online, send the completed form plus any required documentation to the USCIS Phoenix Lockbox. To mail your Form I-90 by standard mail:

P.O. Box 21262
Phoenix, AZ 85036

To mail your Form I-90 by USPS Express Mail or Courier delivery:
Attention: I-90
1820 E. Skyharbor, Circle S, Floor 1
Suite 201
Phoenix, AZ 85034

To file your Form I-90 electronically
Visit (as outlined above) to access the form and instructions and complete the filing process online.

To receive an e-notification of by-mail filing status:

  • Complete Form G-1145 (E-Notification of Application/Petition Acceptance) and attach it to the first page of your I-90 application form. You can find a copy of Form G-1145 at
  • What is the fee to file Form I-90?
  • You will pay $365 to file Form I-90 plus an additional $85 biometric fee (where applicable). This will bring your total to $450.
  • Are there any special instructions I should be aware of?
  • You may file your Form I-90 by mail or online (if you are eligible to do so). Consult for more specific instructions.

NOTE: For paper filing, be sure to complete the form accurately and in its entirety.

How do I pay my fees?

  • If you live in the U.S.: Checks or money orders should be made payable to “U.S. Department of Homeland Security,” which should be written out in full.
  • If you live in Guam: Checks or money orders should be made payable to “Treasurer, Guam.”
  • If you live in the U.S. Virgin Islands: Checks or money orders should be made payable to the “Commissioner of Finance of the Virgin Islands.”

What if I never received my Permanent Resident Card?

You must then complete Form I-90 again and check box B or box D.

  • If you checked box B, also send Form I-797 (Notice of Action).
  • If you checked box D, also send Form I-551.
  • If your legal information has changed, then also send any documentation supporting these changes.

What if I need to change information on a previously submitted Form I-90?

You must appear in person at your ASC and bring all required documentation.

What if I need to withdraw or cancel my I-90 application?

You must make your request in writing to the following address:

c/o Nebraska Service Center
PO Box 87090
Lincoln, NE 68502-7090

NOTE: You will not receive a refund of any fees already paid.

How do I e-file my Form I-90 (Renew or Replace a Green Card Online)?

  • Log in online and fill out Form I-90.
  • Mail the required additional documentation to this address:

c/o Nebraska Service Center
Attn: E-Filed I-90 Application
PO Box 87090
Lincoln, NE 68502-7090

What do I need to bring to my biometrics appointment?

You will need the following documentation for your biometrics appointment:

  • Your appointment notice.
  • A photo I.D. (passport, national photo I.D., driver’s license, military photo I.D., state-issued photo I.D.)

How do I know if I’m eligible to e-file Form I-90?

You are eligible if:

  • You are simply replacing an expiring card.
  • You are replacing a lost, stolen, damaged or destroyed card.
  • You are updating your legal information.
  • You now have commuter status.
  • You now have actual residence status.
  • You have been converted to permanent resident status.
  • You have an older card and are legally required to replace it.

Are there any reasons why I wouldn’t be eligible to file a Form I-90?

You are not eligible if:

  • You just want to remove conditions on a 2-year card.
  • You live anywhere other than the United States, Guam, Puerto Rico, or the US Virgin Islands.
  • You have applied for a fee waiver.
  • You are filing for a non-received or incorrect card.
  • You have turned 14 but haven’t renewed your card.

It is critical to use the proper form(s) to renew or update a green card. A valid card is essential to prove your right to live and work in the U.S. Contact our firm to learn more about obtaining or renewing a green card.

The following two tabs change content below.

Beeraj Patel, Esq.

Partner at KPPB Law
Beeraj Patel's philosophy is simple - make it easy for talented and ambitious individuals to have access to immigration materials so that they can make the choice which is right for them.
Call Now Button