B-1 Visa’s are for temporary business visitors. These are not permanent visas, so do not apply for one if what you need is a permanent visa. Business activities that make you eligible for a B-1 Visa include the following:

  • Selling an estate
  • Short-term training
  • Negotiating a contract
  • Consulting with business associates
  • Scientific, educational, business or professional conferences and conventions
  • Transiting through the United States
  • Deadheading

There are other activities that can make you eligible for a B-1 Visa as well, but these tend to be the most common.

Eligibility For A B-1 Visa

To obtain a B-1 Visa, you must first demonstrate that you meet these criteria:

  • You must be able to prove that the purpose of your trip is legitimate business
  • You have to demonstrate that you are planning to remain for a limited and specific time. You need to know when you are leaving the country.
  • You must be able to show that you have a residence in another country that you do not intend to abandon. You must also show that there are other ties that bind you to another country and which guarantee that you will return home. Essentially, you need to prove that you have no desire to emigrate permanently.
  • You must be legally eligible for entry into the United States.

B1 Visa Application Process

Depending on which country you are coming from, you may be able to enter the country without a visa and apply for a B-1 after you are here. To see if you are eligible to do that, you will need to go to the Customs and Border Patrol Website.

Applying for a B-1 Visa is done via the State Department website. You will need to complete the online form and submit it along with a photo of yourself that meets the State Department’s requirements. Be sure to print copies of these, as you will need them.

If you are over the age of 13, you will need to schedule an appointment for a visa interview with the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in the country where you live. Bring copies of your application, your application confirmation, and your photograph to the interview.

Period Of Stay/Extension Of Stay

The initial period of stay will depend on the dates that you requested for your trip, but the maximum period allowed is six months. If you need to extend your stay, you will need to fill out the appropriate forms and wait for approval.

The maximum allowable stay under B-1 status is one year. If you must stay beyond that, you will need to fill out Form I-539 Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status, along with any supporting documents the USCIS asks for.

Family Of B-1 Holders

Each dependent who is traveling and staying with you will need to apply individually for a B-2 Visa. They are not eligible for any other dependent visas.

B-1 Activities That Require & Employment Authorization Document

Employment authorization is required of the following B-1 business visitors:

  • Personal or domestic servants following an employer who either seeks admission to or is already in the United States with a B, E, F, H, I, J, L, or TN immigrant classification.
  • Domestic servants employed by U.S. citizens joining their employer who has a permanent residence in the United States or is temporarily visiting the U.S. while stationed in a foreign country.
  • Employees of foreign airlines engaged in the international transport of passengers or freight. Normally, these employees are entitled to treaty trader nonimmigrant status, but if they are not a citizen of the airlines nation or if that nation has no treaty of commerce and navigation with the United States, they need a B-1 Visa.

All applicants employed as personal or domestic servants must demonstrate that they have a residence abroad that they will not abandon, have at least one year of experience as a personal or domestic servant and have been employed abroad by their current employer for at least one year prior to their admission into the United States.

If you have been employed by them for less than one year, then your employer must demonstrate that they have employed another individual in the same role you are now filling for at least one year prior to hiring you.

Contact Pride Immigration For More Information

If you still have any questions about eligibility or the application process for a B-1 Visa, contact Pride Immigration today. We specialize in immigration law and our expert staff can help you with any questions you may have.

We can also provide advice regarding documentation, and help you to understand the application process much more clearly. If you need a B-1 Visa, please do not hesitate to contact us. We can help make this process as smooth and simple as possible.

The following two tabs change content below.

Beeraj Patel, Esq.

Partner at KPPB Law
Beeraj Patel's philosophy is simple - make it easy for talented and ambitious individuals to have access to immigration materials so that they can make the choice which is right for them.
Call Now Button